Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Our Favorite Homemade Biscuits

I finally made the perfect biscuits. Biscuits that are so good and easy that I made them twice this week already!



My hubby lived in the South for two years, after he came back you could say he was kind of a biscuit snob...which made it super intimidating for me! ;) After a few failed attempts I gave up and we have just been buying our biscuits. Until now.

This recipe really is super easy...I whipped up a batch for breakfast this morning in about 10 minutes.

Homemade Biscuits:

1.5 cups flour
3 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
6 Tbsp COLD butter/margarine
1 egg
1/2 cup milk

Directions:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Combine dry ingredients and use a pastry cutter to cut the butter in.
..For some reason I still don't have a pastry cutter...this masher works perfectly! ;) 

You should see small, pea-sized pieces of butter throughout the dough. Add the milk and egg; mix until ingredients are combined.


Sprinkle flour on top of dough and on a clean surface. Knead the dough 10-15 times with your hands. You can add more flour if super sticky. Pat the dough out to 3/4-1 inch thickness and cut with a biscuit cutter (or in my case a glass cup).


After cutting, pat out extra dough and cut again! I get about 8-10 biscuits from this recipe.

..thickness of my dough

Place biscuits on lightly greased baking pan and bake 8-12 minutes (10 min is perfect for me, but start low the first time). The bottoms of the biscuits should be a beautiful golden brown and you should see the tops starting to turn a little brown.


These taste even better with homemade freezer jam. I'll post an easy recipe for that soon. Enjoy!!



1 comment: