Monday, May 6, 2013

Tutorial: Stenciled Curtains

Today I am going to share with you my super easy way to stencil curtains....without painting!!

That is right, no painting involved.

I bought the Merete Curtains from IKEA and  I love them! They are nice and thick, super long, and only $25 a PAIR!! However, with white walls and white curtains my husband thought it was a little boring :) I have been debating forever over what to do with them, stripes and what color, a stencil, ribbon trimming, etc. My biggest fear though was painting them. I have heard so many different responses to fabric paint. Some people love it and it turns out well; others hate it, saying its hard and crunchy. Well I didn't want crunchy curtains....
When I finally did decided on the stencil I wanted I was thinking how much easier it would be if I could just trace it on. It would be so much faster and easier than multiple coats of paint! So I went about googling it and found out about Fabric Markers! They are easy to work with, don't change the texture of the fabric, and you can wash them! I was delighted! And soon went about stenciling my curtains.

I found the template for my stencil here. I just printed it out, traced it on some cardboard, and cut it out, using the cardboard as my template. At first I did just one single stencil, but soon had the idea to do multiple at once...making it a TON faster and easier to keep straight.

Fabric Markers are $2.50 at Joann's. For my 4 curtain panels I used 3 markers.

You will want a large flat surface to work on, I used a large table out in our garage.

Have fun! Here are pictures of the process!

I started in the middle of the curtain, just to make sure it looked even. The main thing you need to worry about is staying straight!! I often took a step back to make sure everything was lined up correctly.  


Like I mentioned above, I first started out with doing a single stencil at a time.
It took awhile, so I soon made another template with multiple. It made the job so much faster and easier! 













I love how they turned out! They add just a touch of character to the room but aren't too overwhelming! And for the price you can't really beat it! 


7 comments:

  1. That's amazing! They look like they were made that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Sara, It's beautiful and see easy i try it!

    Congratulations for your #3 Boy : )

    A Kiss from Barcelona (Spain)

    Xènia Roca

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea, I'm so doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Few of the most vital factors of a Best Curtains for Office must be saved in account earlier than redecorating your room with them. Such elements include the color schemes and curtain period. Curtains in UAE are available in color scheme and you could select the scheme that fits your private home interiors. Coming to coloration schemes, blend and in shape add to the florescence of your region like blending natural sunglasses, whites and strong hues. Pastels add lifestyles to a static environment while cool colorations like blue, white or grey are restful tones. The colors you select need to add to fun and liveliness in that part of your home. Fo rmore details:http://curtaindubai.ae.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ficou maravilhoso seu trabalho! Estou querendo aplicar esse motivo em almofadas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. www.goldenweblife.blogspot.com

    https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fs.click.aliexpress.com%2Fe%2F_AVMk2n&h=AT3sjKPjKuR5Ra_SAPrGV475koYF68Zvhiioh1-4ePnTalzG3ljkVxizCJ9LoMowXs7HXdHsD2M_a2Ww94DRznXLlanL6ntvb_18cZjo03gwt7SMOL_m-MJZPHJHO-C5gr1w&s=1

    ReplyDelete